The Parish Church of St George the Martyr, Waterlooville

The Mothers’ Union held its Diocesan Garden Party for AFIA (Away From It All Holidays) on Saturday 16th July. Due to bad weather it had to be moved from All Saints, Denmead grounds into the Church hall, but no-one’s spirits were “dampened” by the rain – we are used to our English summers.

There was a large selection of stalls – St George’s had a toiletries table and also one overflowing with handbags of every shape, size and colour.

Wickham Morris Dancers put on a lively display and invited Bishop Christopher to join in the dancing.

There were ploughman’s lunches, cakes for sale, raffles and a children’s fancy dress competition.

A total of approx. 1322 was raised, with the main raffle contributing 970. St George’s combined tables made over 100.

Due to yet more rainy weather our branch Garden Party (for the Overseas Development Fund) on 21st July was moved from outside, into our Church hall.

With a variety of stalls – Bring and Buy, Books, Treasure Hunt and M U merchandise, and a quiz, an enjoyable afternoon was had by all.

Invited guests and branch members tucked into a plentiful supply of tea, sandwiches, savouries and cakes.

A total of 142.60 was raised.

Mary Sumner Day Deanery Service on 9th August, held at St Georges church had as its theme “Faithful in Prayer”.

Rev Barry Smith led the worship, with Sheila King giving a most informative address, and the Catherington Handbell Ringers playing a selection of melodies including “Ode to Joy” and “Bless This House”.

Tea and biscuits were served afterwards in the church.


Autumn Edition 2011

St George’s Mothers’ Union


The M U Deanery Outing on Friday 12th August was to Highgrove in Gloucestershire. Our 33 seater coach collected us from outside St George’s Church at 8am, made a second “pick-up” at Christchurch, Portsdown, returned briefly to Waterlooville, before setting off for Gloucestershire.

We stopped en-route at St. Mary Bourne for coffee, ate a rather hurried picnic lunch in Tetbury, and after one or two wrong turns (and some expert reversing by Gerry our driver) we arrived safely at Highgrove, the home of HRH the Prince of Wales.

After showing the ID we had all been asked to provide, our guide, Charlotte, took us on an extremely informative two hour tour of the gardens.

The original “High Grove” was built between 1796 and 1798, and had been previously owned by Maurice MacMillan, son of Harold MacMillan, the British Prime Minister.

Many changes have been made – the rather stark facade of the house has been softened, and a profusion of foliage adds to the beauty of the building.

Our tour took us through a series of garden areas, each different, - walled, wooded and open.

We were shown Princes’ William and Harry’s thatched tree house, a splendid bronze relief of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (by Marcus Cornish), two small classical temples built to look like stone, but made of wood, statues, and a small “sanctuary” cottage built for the Millennium.

In the walled garden were organically grown fruit and veg, there was a meadow for wildflowers and many items given as gifts to His Royal Highness which have been incorporated into the garden designs.

Near the end of our tour was the Eastern-inspired Carpet Garden which won a silver medal at the 2001 Chelsea Flower Show.

After a welcome coffee and cake in the cafe we browsed in the Highgrove shop for souvenirs and postcards before boarding our coach for our homeward journey.

Janet Johnson

Highgrove House