about st george's church st george's news advertisers Waterlooville Music Festival
printer info
Retirement: photogallery Farewell Fr Mike & Lynda The Osmond Diaries Stoneham War Shrine News from the Pews A Priest makes a difference Mothers' Union Notes Book Corner Gifts of the Holy Spirit Who am I? Crossword Puzzle time

St George’s News - Waterlooville’s Parish Magazine

The Website for St George’s Church, Waterlooville and its Parish Magazine St George’s News

Summer 2017 issue

News from the Pews

Open Garden

We were all invited to Christine Culley’s beautiful garden on Sunday afternoon, 28th May. Unfortunately after some lovely sunny days, the weather decided to change and right on cue, at about 2pm, the heavens opened! Despite this we managed to dodge the downpours and ventured out to admire the plants and look for Elves and Ducks.

Cream teas were served - indoors! And there was a lucky dip. £452 was raised for Church Funds.

Fete Day

We had our Summer Fete on Saturday June 10th. The weather was fine and sunny and we set up our tables on the grass in the Church grounds, ready to open at 9.30am.

There were stalls selling jewellery, gifts, books, DVDs, CDs, cakes, jams and chutneys etc.; a tombola, bottle stall and Grand Raffle.

We had a Barbecue with burgers and hot dogs and served teas and coffees. £2,335 was raised for Church funds.

Waterlooville Music Festival

It was a brilliant Music Festival this year. We started on Saturday 10th June with Strumdiddlyumptious - surely one of the best Ukulele Bands around - and lively! One of them jumped up and down for the entire performance - wouldn’t I like some of his energy!

On Sunday we changed the tempo for Songs of Praise with the Portsmouth Citadel Salvation Army Band and a combined churches choir. Monday was Portsmouth Baroque Choir and the Dolce Quartet - I wasn’t sure what to expect with this, but found it a really relaxing evening.

Tuesday ABBA Inferno took to the stage - well the altar steps, we were in a church after all; costume changes, lighting effects, dancing and lots of ABBA hits.

The Band of the Hampshire Constabulary came on Wednesday. My favourite - HAGO - the Hampshire Guitar Orchestra - and their leader Derek Hasted entertained on Thursday. Friday was the Folk and Ale Night with Jigfoot and Megan Linford and Band, and real ale (well, we had a bar selling Pimms, ale, wine and soft drinks most evenings).

Saturday we finished in style with our Last Night of the Proms. Don Lloyd conducted the Meridian Wind Band, Wendy Lloyd and Rachel Palmer sang, we all joined in - usually in the right places, and balloons cascaded down from the gallery at the end. A perfect way to end our Festival.

This was Fr Mike’s last Music Festival at St George’s, so it was tinged with a little sadness. We will miss his inspiration and enthusiasm.

Fr Mike’s retirement

Sunday 25th June was Fr Mike and Lynda’s last Sunday with us at St George’s.

It was a busy morning combining the service, a procession and Fr Mike and Lynda renewing their marriage vows in celebration of their Ruby Wedding anniversary.

Afterwards there was a party held in the church grounds.

We wish Fr Mike and Lynda a very happy retirement.

Cricket at Glendene

On a lovely warm and sunny Sunday afternoon, the Men’s Group (plus anyone else who wanted to play) held their annual cricket match in the garden at Glendene.

Playing by a list of rules devised by Tony (the Glendene Cricket Club Rules) a series of bats-persons faced bowlers and tried their best to score runs.

In true cricket tradition we stopped at half time for tea, before resuming the serious business of playing cricket.

Malcolm Brewer won the trophy - was there one? But no one seemed to mind being losers - it was great fun and a very English way to spend a summer afternoon.

Parish Outing

Our Parish outing this year on Saturday 22nd July took us to Windsor. It started to rain before we left Waterlooville at 9am and continued more “on” than “off” for the rest of the day.

The coach left us at the Coach Park at 10.30am and we all dashed up the hill to the castle to be in time for the Band and the Changing of the Guard at 11 o’clock - only to find that, due to the weather, the Band had been cancelled and the “Changing” bit was over in a couple of minutes, so we needn’t have rushed.

Windsor was really busy, crowds of people everywhere, lots of students. (One young girl was nearly swept away as two marching Guardsmen bore down on her in the Castle grounds, ordering her to “make way!” in a very commanding voice. She presumably had no idea what this meant and they had no intention of changing course! They left a very bemused tourist in their wake!)

We were thankful we had ordered our Castle tickets in advance as we were able to “jump” the very long queue snaking down the pavement outside the castle entrance, especially as it was raining very hard by this time.

There was “airport style” security to get in. Bags were put on the “conveyor belt”, you had to remove coats, belts and even watches. I heard later that one of our party had failed rather badly here!

By this time we had split into small groups and some people we didn’t meet again till we were back on the coach. Our group of three picked up our audio guides and headed to St George’s Chapel first.

The architecture throughout the Castle is magnificent. Here the tombs of Kings and Queens lie beneath your feet and above, the amazing vaulted ceiling. There is so much history all around you.

After the Chapel we headed out to find Wetherspoons and lunch. We were wearing wristbands to enable us to re-enter the castle more easily - but still had to negotiate the security area once more.

We made our way to the State Apartments, walked up staircases Heads of State and Royalty used, admired elaborate painted ceilings, furniture, china, portraits and paintings. Windsor Castle is truly a Royal Residence fit for a Queen.

Afterwards we went to see Queen Mary’s Dolls House which concluded our Castle tour.

There was time to buy, somewhat belatedly - a castle guide book and some souvenirs and grab a quick coffee before heading back to the coach park for 5pm. We arrived home at 6.30pm and it was still raining!

But although the weather may have dampened our clothes and bags somewhat it couldn’t dampen our spirits. The castle was magnificent, the souvenir shops plentiful and Wetherspoons lunch and coffee as delicious as ever.

It was a really nice day out.

Janet Johnson